In another article, we have seen that what are synonyms, and how to get all the synonyms of any word. What about finding these synonyms within different documents? This article will guide you about how to search the synonyms of any specific query (word) in multiple files using C#.
The following topics will be covered below:
- .NET API – Synonym Search
- Find synonyms in documents using C#
- Present synonym search results using C#
- Complete code – Search & print synonyms search results
.NET API for Searching Synonyms in Multiple Files
GroupDocs.Search provides the .NET API that allows searching any word and its synonyms in multiple files of the specified folder. I will be using this API in the shown examples of this article. It allows you to search over a large list of document formats. Along with finding the synonyms, GroupDocs.Search for .NET also supports some more search techniques that include:
- Fuzzy Search
- Case-Sensitive Search
- Homophone Search
- Regular Expressions Search
- Wild Card Search
PM> Install-Package GroupDocs.Search
Find Synonyms in Multiple Files using C#
The steps show how to search synonyms (words with similar meanings) in files within a folder using C#.
- Define the search query, index folder, and the document’s folder.
- Create index with defined index Folder using Index class.
- Add the document’s folder to the index.
- Create the SearchOptions and set the UseSynonymSearch to true.
- Call the Search method of Index class and pass the query and search options.
- To print the summary, use the properties of the retrived SearchResult.
The source code shows how to find all the synonyms within all the files of a folder using C#
Query: make Documents: 2 Occurrences: 22
Printing Synonym Search Results using C#
The following steps print the results in detail after getting all the synonyms and their number of occurrences in each document.
- Tranverse the search results that are retreved using the above code.
- Get each FoundDocument using the GetFoundDocument method.
- Print the repective properties of each FoundDocument.
- Traverse the FoundFields within each FoundDocument to get Found Document Field.
- From each FoundDocumentField, you can get its terms and its occurrences count within each document.
The following source code prints the synonym search results along with the number of occurrences of each searched term using C#.
Query: make Documents: 2 Total occurrences: 22 Document: C:/documents/sample.docx Occurrences: 6 Field: content Occurrences: 6 make 1 get 2 cause 1 do 2 Document: C:/documents/sample.txt Occurrences: 16 Field: content Occurrences: 16 get 4 cause 1 do 11
Search Synonyms and Printing Results using C# – Complete Code
Here is the complete source code that first finds all the synonyms according to the provided query, and then prints all the occurrences of all the synonyms in each document within that folder using C#.
To conclude, you have learned how to find the specific words and also their synonyms in multiple documents within the specified folder using C#. You can try to develop your own .NET application for searching any word and its synonyms within multiples files.